Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thank you Tina Fey

I just finished Tina Fey's new memoir Bossypants, and I loved it. Highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of her's personally, a fan of SNL or 30 Rock.
What I really love about this memoir, besides the fact that she has made me laugh out loud, is her candid honesty. She addresses the topics of breastfeeding and being a working mom. Obviously since I am the mother to a 5 1/2 month old, her opinions on these topics resonate with me. She had trouble breastfeeding, had to supplement with formula in the hospital, and started pumping right away. She talks about how frustrating it was for her to not be able to feed her child in the most basic way and the scrutiny she felt from the women she calls the "Teat Nazis". I can't tell you how nice it is to come across women who struggled with the same issues I have as a new Mom.
One of my other favorite chapters was "The Mother's Prayer for Its Daughter", here is my favorite part of the prayer:
"And when she one day turns on me and calls me a bitch in front of Hollister, Give me the strength, Lord, to yank her directly into a cab in front of her friends, For I will not have that Shit. I will not have it."

 Plus, it was fun to learn about the "behind-the-scenes" action that goes on at shows like SNL and 30 Rock. She also discusses her time with Second City in Chicago. Steve and I had a chance to catch a show at Second City when we traveled to Chicago on our babymoon last summer. It was hilarious, and I look forward to seeing some of the improvers on SNL one day.
Added bonus: it's a pretty short book, so if you don't have much free time (like I don't) you will achieve the satisfaction of actually being able to finish a book cover to cover in a reasonable amount of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment